When it comes to flooring, vinyl is a popular choice among homeowners, and for a good reason. It is durable, affordable, and easy to maintain. However, to keep your vinyl floors looking their best, you need to consider the finishing touches. This is where vinyl floor finishing strips come in. These strips are designed to cover the edges of your vinyl flooring, providing a seamless and professional finish. In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about vinyl floor finishing strips.
What are Vinyl Floor Finishing Strips?
Vinyl floor finishing strips, also known as edge trims or edge caps, are narrow strips of vinyl that are designed to cover the edges of your vinyl flooring. They are available in various widths, colors, and finishes, allowing you to find the perfect match for your flooring. The strips are designed to be installed after the vinyl flooring has been laid, ensuring a seamless and professional finish.
Why are Vinyl Floor Finishing Strips Important?
While vinyl flooring is durable and long-lasting, the edges can be vulnerable to damage. Over time, the edges of the vinyl flooring can become worn or chipped, detracting from the overall appearance of your flooring. Vinyl floor finishing strips provide a protective barrier, covering the edges of the vinyl flooring and preventing damage. Additionally, the finishing strips provide a professional and polished finish, elevating the look of your vinyl flooring.
Types of Vinyl Floor Finishing Strips
There are several types of vinyl floor finishing strips, each designed for different purposes. Here are some of the most common types:
- Self-Adhesive Strips: These strips feature a self-adhesive backing, making them easy to install without the need for additional adhesives.
- Screw-Down Strips: These strips are secured to the subfloor using screws, providing a secure and permanent finish.
- Overlap Strips: These strips are designed to overlap the vinyl flooring, providing a seamless finish.
- Ramp Strips: These strips feature a sloped edge, providing a smooth transition between two flooring surfaces.
How to Install Vinyl Floor Finishing Strips
Installing vinyl floor finishing strips is a relatively simple process that can be completed in just a few steps. Here’s how to do it:
- Clean the edges of the vinyl flooring to ensure a clean and smooth surface.
- Measure the length of the edge and cut the finishing strip to size using a utility knife.
- Apply a small amount of adhesive to the back of the finishing strip (if necessary).
- Press the finishing strip onto the edge of the vinyl flooring, ensuring a tight and secure fit.
- Repeat the process for all edges of the vinyl flooring.
Where to Buy Vinyl Floor Finishing Strips
Vinyl floor finishing strips can be found at most home improvement stores and online retailers. When purchasing finishing strips, be sure to choose a strip that matches the width and color of your vinyl flooring.
The Bottom Line
Overall, vinyl floor finishing strips are an essential component of any vinyl flooring installation. They provide a protective barrier, prevent damage to the edges of the vinyl flooring, and elevate the overall appearance of your flooring. By choosing the right finishing strip and following the installation instructions, you can ensure a seamless and professional finish for your vinyl flooring.