When it comes to installing a new laminate floor, one of the most common questions is whether or not the flooring should go under cabinets. It’s an important consideration, as it can impact the overall look and functionality of your space. In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of installing laminate flooring under cabinets, and provide some helpful tips to help you make the best decision for your home.
Before we dive in, let’s start by defining what we mean by “cabinets.” In this context, we’re referring to any built-in storage units in your kitchen, bathroom, or other living space. This can include base cabinets, wall cabinets, and other types of storage units that are attached to the walls or floor.
Pros of Installing Laminate Flooring Under Cabinets
There are a few potential benefits to installing laminate flooring under your cabinets:
- Aesthetics: If you’re looking for a seamless, cohesive look throughout your space, installing the flooring under your cabinets can help achieve that. It eliminates any awkward gaps or transitions between the cabinet and floor, creating a more polished look.
- Protection: By installing the flooring under your cabinets, you’re providing an extra layer of protection against spills and moisture. This can be especially important in areas like kitchens and bathrooms, where spills are more likely to occur.
- Flexibility: If you ever decide to rearrange your cabinets or change the layout of your space, having the flooring installed underneath gives you more flexibility. You won’t have to worry about any unsightly gaps or unfinished edges.
Cons of Installing Laminate Flooring Under Cabinets
While there are some potential benefits, there are also a few drawbacks to consider:
- Difficulty of Installation: Installing flooring under cabinets can be more difficult and time-consuming than installing around them. It requires more precision and may require you to remove and reinstall the cabinets.
- Cost: Depending on the size and complexity of your cabinets, installing the flooring underneath them may require more materials and labor, which can increase the overall cost of your project.
- Waste: If you’re installing the flooring under your cabinets, you’ll likely have more waste material than if you were installing around them. This can add to the cost and environmental impact of your project.
So, Should You Install Laminate Flooring Under Cabinets?
Ultimately, the decision to install laminate flooring under your cabinets will depend on a few factors, including your budget, your aesthetic preferences, and your willingness to deal with the potential challenges of installation. Here are a few tips to help you make the best decision:
- Consider your budget: If you’re on a tight budget, it may be more cost-effective to install the flooring around your cabinets rather than underneath them.
- Think about the look you want to achieve: If you’re going for a seamless, polished look, installing the flooring under your cabinets may be the way to go.
- Weigh the potential challenges: If you’re not comfortable with the idea of removing and reinstalling your cabinets, or if you don’t want to deal with the additional waste and cost of installing the flooring underneath, it may be best to stick with installing around the cabinets.
At the end of the day, the decision to install laminate flooring under your cabinets is a personal one. By considering these factors and doing your research, you’ll be able to make an informed decision that works best for your home and your needs.