Build Electronic Drums

Before – Roland TD3 KW Electronic Drum Kit. Upgraded to TD6 module. After – My DIY Electronic Drum Kit conversion.

1
after
3
I found this Tom drums on Ebay for $30.00. The price included shipping. This tom was cut in half with a Jigsaw to create two 10″ toms. I used tape around the cut line to prevent splintering.
4
Roof Truss Clip . Purchased at Menards $0.49
Shell with L Brackets
The roof truss clips are attached inside the drum shell where the lugs connect. They will support the spoke cross member.
clamp
Cable Clamps purchased at local hardware store $1.50 The red arrows show where metal had to be removed with hacksaw to make flat. Black arrows show metal strips drilled with holes that were added to modify the clamps so they will grab the Roland L rods.
Shell with Clamp
The Cable Clamps where a low cost way to mount the toms to the Roland L rods.
lrod
Clamp shown with Roland L rod.Update: I have upgraded my drum mounts Oak drum mounts.
Cross Member
I used wood cut out with a jigsaw for the spoke cross member.
parts
Drilled 1/4″ holes in wood spoke cross member & Outlet box cover.
v
Assembled wood spoke member with adjustable sensor support.
d
I drilled a hole in the shell for the  1/4 Jack.  These jacks where not long enough to go through the drum shell. With the right size drill bit I was able to screw the jack into the shell. It was a nice tight fit. Next time I will use these 1/4 Jacks with longer threads.
1
35mm Piezo Sensor is attached with 3-M double sided tape . The sensor comes with double-back foam tape installed on back. The Piezo Sensor is connected to the 1/4 Jack.Update: A cheaper alternative using Radio Shack piezos that works just s well.  I use a circle of double sided tape the size of the ceramic part of the piezo to attach sensor to the support. How to remove piezo from plastic case.There are also many listing for piezo sensors on Ebay.
2
I cut the foam sanding block into 1″x1″x1.5″  foam blocks with a hand  miter saw and peeled of the sanding surface. A band saw works well also.I tried the foam cones that I purchased here. Had triggering problems like double triggering, miss triggering. Made many adjustments to the module with no success in getting it to trigger properly.The sanding block foam blocks work great. I was able to set the module back to the default settings. No triggering problems at all.If you don’t want to use foam blocks. You can also make foam cones from the foam sanding blocks.
3
foam sanding blocks used to attach foam block to sensor.
4
I adjusted the sensor support so the foam block is 1/8″ above the rim of the drum shell.One down and three to go.  Now I need to create some DIY mesh heads using Fiberglass window screen.There are links in the tutorial to where you can find most of the parts I used in this project. Here are some of the parts and tools I used on all the different projects. Parts List   Tools